Sunday, January 4, 2015

Dan The Centurion

Week three of Manchester Marathon training and a new milestone has been reached:

Monday: 6k recovery run.
Tuesday: 18.4k medium long run.
Wednesday: 19.7k medium long run.
Thursday: 11.k NYD parkrun double (South Manchester & Oldham) + warm up.
Friday: 14k Threshold run; 6k at tempo.
Saturday: 6k recovery run.
Sunday: 25.6k Long run including 13k at marathon pace.

Total: 101.3km (63mi)

This has been my first ever 100k+ week and shows the training is really starting to kick in now.

New years day is the one day of the year when two parkruns can be completed on the same day. So along with some friends I took the opportunity to visit South Manchester parkrun before heading back to Oldham for the second of the day. 


Thursday should have been a recovery run day so I wasn't going to go flat out at either, it was more about seeing some friends and clocking up a couple of runs. The puddle of doom was still there but nowhere near as big as it was a couple of years ago!

The back to back medium long runs were part of the training plan not me moving things about to fit my new years day parkruns in. From reading Advanced Marathoning I understand the reason behind these double distance runs; at this stage in the training cycle it's about getting my body used to running for a long time and burning glycogen.

The hardest session of the week was Sunday's long run. The distance isn't a problem at this stage in my training. The 13k (8mi) at marathon pace took quite a bit out of me. No problems doing the 13k, nice solid pacing but the 11k after was hard work. I completed all 13k round a 1.1k loop at a nearby trading estate. Not a very exciting location but there was no traffic to worry about and it was a nice flat loop.  Looking at the next few weeks there are a few more of these long tempo sessions including a 18 mile run with 14 at marathon pace! Hopefully all these miles at marathon pace will make race day if not easier perhaps not as hard?

Most of my runs this week have been almost pan flat but when training for the flattest marathon in the UK I need to get my body ready for running a long distance with little or no hills to speak of. Next Sunday there is a good old fashioned long slow run so I'll be off to explore, weather permitting!

Another 100k + week beacons....

No comments:

Post a Comment