Sunday, December 8, 2013

Back Again At The Stockport 10

I did the Stockport 10 last December, making this the first race I've completed twice. Shows that even after all those miles I've done (2,482 stat fans) I've still not been at this running lark that long.

This is one on my favorite races and I'm glad I came back. It has everything a runner wants from a race: good value, a famous goodie bag, brilliant long sleeved technical t-shirt and a what an atmosphere.

A number of my running friends were at the race today; last year I think I only knew a couple of people - how things change - it was a pleasure to run with so many friends.

I also had the opportunity to meet some parkrun royalty in the form of "King" Danny Norman, UK Communications Manager and co-host of the excellent the parkrun show, though it was surprising to see him so far north without a nose bleed!

 I have a bit of an issue with this race, last year I finished in 78 minutes and I felt I could have done a lot better. It was also the last race that Simon beat me at, at least on time - Simon runs so well he'll get me on age grading!



Myself, Danny Norman & my good running buddy Simon. 
The race started and finished on the track at Woodbank Park stadium. It starts with one and a half laps and its stunning to see how fast the leaders are going, I'm not sure I could go that fast just for 400 meters let alone 10 miles!

The course has been changed this year taking out the second part of the hill climb at half way (thank you God) but adding in a second off road down hill section. To be honest I was surprised at how much off road there was now but I can see why it has been done. It's a lot safer for all than running down the roads with traffic.

Down is a lot easier than up. Towards the end there is New Zealand Road: I didn't think it was that bad last year. I guess I must not have been trying as I felt it this time round. It felt like it was never going to end, on and on the climb went. I was so glad to get to the top but then I had to get the legs going again on the flat!

Entering the track with 200m to go.
 The last mile is flat and through the park but by that point I just wanted it to end - a sure sign I was putting enough into the race this time round.

I finished in 68:35 which is just short of 10 minutes fast than last year showing how much I've improved in a year.

What was in the goodie bag this year I hear you ask. Well, a bag of crisps, some sweets, a bouncy ball, notepad and a candle. Quite normal for the Stockport 10 but still one of the best bags around.

This was the last road race of the year and apart from some cross country in January I've not got a race until the Mad Dog in February. Lots of training between now and then: my 16 week training program towards the Greater Manchester Marathon starts next week.



Target for next year another 10 minutes off? I'm not so sure......



No comments:

Post a Comment