Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Back From Injury

I've been out for about two and a half weeks with my first real injury since I started running. Not 100%what the technical name for it was but I classed it as "hurting like a bastard at the bottom of my leg" which covered it for me.

I was going to blog about being injured but found that anything I typed was full of frustration and swearing.

I did my first run back on Saturday at my home parkrun of Oldham and clocked a 20:53 far from my fastest time round Alexandra Park but I was pleased to have completed the 5k.

Coming back from a lay off was always going to take time, what I hadn't appreciated was there is actually more frustration than there was being injured. I'm okay to run now and everything feels fine; the problem is I can't do what I could a few weeks ago.

I went out today at lunch and did the usual mid week run to Old Trafford and back (3.5m'ish). My plan was to run 5k at 7 minute miles then cool down for the last bit. Not a problem thought I. I run half marathons faster than that. Not at the moment I don't. By the end of the 5k I had to stop to catch my breath, something I've not done for a long time.

My problem has always been I want to be straight back into things, I need to remember here that when I started running I didn't dive straight into a 10k so need to build that fitness back up and it may take a few weeks.

The Leeds Abbey Dash is a week on Sunday. I booked it originally as a race I could break my 10k pb at, a good fast course perfect. That isn't going to happen now and I know it. Not going to stop me running it, bottom line is I run because I love it. Yes it is a fantastic feelings to break a pb but there will always be the joy of running no matter what pace it is.

With that in mind I will be out for the first time in what feels like years with my running club tomorrow night. Sessions are usually an hour so that will be a good test of my stamina. Really looking forward to running with my club mates and enjoying a run.

The Stockport 10 in December that is another matter. I'm going to smash that!

No comments:

Post a Comment