Sunday, September 15, 2013

The Road to Chester: Week 13

Week by week blog as I near my first marathon at Chester.


  • 43 miles this week. 
  • Back at Oldham parkrun.
  • Taper time.

After this week I have just three weeks training left to race day. It's time to start tapering. The weekly miles are down as is the long run. "Just" sixteen miles this morning. I never thought I'd be able to say that but I guess all things are relative! This weeks long run took me into Mossley so included more hill work than last time out. I thought as I wasn't going as far I'd make it more challenging in a different way. Chester might be a mostly flight course but there is no harm in doing some hill work - that and the fact if I go a couple of miles in most directions from my house I hit hills....


Saturday saw me run my 50th parkrun at Oldham and my first on the course since the middle of July (the birthday run at the end of July was on the "B" course). I'd forgotten what a tough little course Oldham is! After running at places like Peter Pan and Wythenshawe I've not seen hills for a few weeks. Pleased with my time on Saturday as it's eleven seconds slower than my course PB , especially as I was having a chat with people as I ran round the third lap.

It's a bit odd at parkrun now: I've completed my fifty runs and got the red t-shirt I was so keen on at the start of the year. Now, especially when I run at Oldham, I'm not too bothered about my time. I enjoyed running on Saturday, cheering people on and running with my friends. I'm also looking at what I can do for other people; I've become a lot less selfish with my parkrun. Talking to Bev the ED over a post run brew I volunteered to do some pacing which will mean I finish with my slowest ever parkrun time. That's not important though if a few other runners reach their goal and get a PB - I can always go and try for my own PB another time - parkrun is there every week.

It's not been an especially exciting week this week, but race day is beginning to pop its head over the horizon - twenty days to go tomorrow morning!


No comments:

Post a Comment