Sunday, September 8, 2013

The Road Chester: Week 12

A week by week blog of my training towards my first marathon in Chester.

Week 12 highlights:


  • 44 miles this week. 
  • Final long run completed. 

It's been an up and down week. After last Sunday's long run I went out on Monday for a gentle five mile run to shake the legs out. Tuesday morning brought an interval session, six one mile reps with four hundred meters recovery. I started off the first interval and got about four hundred meters in and found I couldn't get up to my target pace and felt heavy legged and tired. Once upon a time I would have plowed on regardless and possibly made things worse. Rather than push on and end up either injured or even more exhausted than I already was I stopped the intervals and switched to a steady eight mile run. Granted maybe the best thing to do would have been to just go home but this was the next best thing.   

After talking to some close running buddies about perhaps over training I decided that a very easy day and a couple of days rest might be in order. 



On Wednesday I had a nice long lie in and then went for a run with Mike. We had a nice gentle run and a chat as we'd not seen each other for a few weeks. We both have marathons in October (Mike is doing Amsterdam on 20th October) so we are in a similar situation training wise. This is the only run I've ever done where I've changed trainers mid run. No I wasn't carrying a spare set: Mike wanted to try my Brooks Ghost's out and since we are both the same size, why not!

Keeping in the spirit of taking it easy I had Thursday off. Friday morning rolled round and I found myself in the pitch black of 5:30 am in the poring rain. What a run! I felt fantastic! An easy day followed by rest sure did me good. I could have gone faster or further but why push it?

No parkrun this week as it was my turn to be run director at Oldham. It was also the first time I've been back to Alexandra Park in a month so it was nice to get back and  see some familiar faces. It was the first parkrun of the autumn and it certainly felt like it! Standing watching the runners I wished I had a bigger coat and gloves. I did see a runner with gloves on, time to think about digging my winter kit out I think. I do enjoy being a run director at Oldham; parkrun day is completely different, watching people warm up getting focused on their runs and then watching and encouraging everyone through their 5k is great. Though I do find that while the run is on there isn't a lot for me to do but that's good: the volunteer team have everything under control and everything is running like clockwork.

A quick well done is due to Jan who ran an Oldham pb on Saturday of 39:10 in her 8th parkrun. Sub 39 is on the way!

This morning was my last long run before the taper begins. I decided to do the same route as last week setting off again at 9 am. This was a problem as you'll see.....

Chester marathon are providing drinks a gels on the course so me being me and leaving nothing to chance had picked up some of the Lucozade Elite Citrus gels and used them for the first time today. Well I'm glad a did try them before race day: they are vile! I have no idea why they think that is citrus because it isn't. I'm not sure what it is but if you asked me citrus is the last thing I'd suggest. It won't stop me using them on race day, but I know what to expect and to have some water handy to wash down with...

I felt really good on the run, much better than I did last week. But knowing there was twenty miles ahead of me I kept to my planned pace. This was the same as last week which is where the problem came in: eighteen miles in and climbing up Berry Brow hill which isn't easy at the best of times let alone after eighteen miles I hear the level crossing coming down. I'd done it again and been caught by the train. I should have known really, but then who expects the trains to be running on time twice in two weeks? Once again I had to keep moving while waiting for the train to pass less my legs refuse to start again. Unlike last week the last few kilometers weren't such a slog and I managed to loop round my block a couple of times to get the full thirty two kilometers on my Garmin. Yes I know that's not strictly twenty miles but it's closer than last week.

So that's it my long runs are done, time to taper towards race day starting tomorrow morning with a rest day and a lie in. I can't wait for race day now.

Not long to go...... 


No comments:

Post a Comment