Friday, August 1, 2014

Race Report: Sale Sizzle 2014 Race 3

This was race three of the annual four race series. Having finished race one in a time of 19:01 and not started race two I was keen to attack my 5k PB of 18:43 set at Heaton Park parkrun back in May.

The weather for the Sizzlers is known to sizzle; race three in 2013 was ran in thirty-one degree temperatures. Fortunately it wasn't as hot this time round but was still humid.

After a short warm up I toed the line; Sizzler starts are always challenging as it involves a lap and a bit of the track and with four hundred runners all trying to get round, a few of which always start too far forward for their pace there is potential to be boxed in. I decided to start of the outside, so far outside I was actually on the grass. Once the gun went this proved to be a good strategy as by two-hundred meters in I was into my pace and in a bit of space.

As the race left the track to complete the two loops of Wythenshawe Park I started to feel this was going to be hard work. The first kilometer  wasn't too bad, all things considered but passing the second I felt like my lungs were on fire. This was the point in the race where that voice in the back of mind started up. "Just pull out," it said, "you can always come up with a reason why. You must have a niggle you can blame." Well, yes, I could have pulled out and I did want the pain to stop but then I thought if I stop I'll never know how I would have done.

So I pressed on into the second lap, mentally clocking off the kilometers. For me at the Sizzlers getting to four kilometers is always a killer: I know there is only one k to go but it feels much longer than any of the others. That and there is usually a sprint finish to be had.

Heading back in to the track I couldn't see the gun time just yet and don't have it on my Garmin, just my pace, so I still didn't know quite how I was doing. I started to wind up the sprint, or as much of one as I could manage. The clock then came into view and I knew if I really put everything I had left into this there could be a PB on the cards. I gave it everything and I do mean everything, there was nothing in the tank when I finished. I could hardly speak and would have happily collapsed in a heap had I not had to walk through the funnel. 

The only down side I have with the Sizzler series is the finish times are always about two seconds out from Garmin times. Race one of this year I clocked 18:59 on my watch but was give the official time of 19:01. It's not just me that finds this, a few fellow runners mention it.

With this in mind I knew not to take anything for granted. I had 18:38 and a bit on my watch so was confident I had the PB wanted. It wasn't until later in the evening that I got the official results
and it was confirmed I had 18:40, the Sizzler timekeeper strikes again. Even so it was a PB and I and more than happy with that!

I'll be back for race four in two weeks time to try and better it.

No comments:

Post a Comment