Monday, October 14, 2013

One Week On

Miles this week: 16

One week on from the big day and I'm already out running again. I was given lots of advice about how much rest I should take after a marathon. Like everything in running a lot of the advice was either contradictory in practical. Some people said rest for two weeks others said four days.

I made three.

I had said before the race that I'd planned my first run back to be with Mike on Wednesday lunch time all being well.

Monday morning getting out of bed was fun, I could walk but at no great pace and stairs were a challenge. A few people had told me that Tuesday would be worse, just what I wanted to hear! I work on the fourth floor but by the end of the day I was using the stairs. I think that was more matcho than actually being able to do them. Even so the offer of some hill reps with Mike was declined without thanks.

I'll be honest I didn't feel as bad on Tuesday as I thought. I was still stiff but was getting about OK, perhaps not ready for a run but thinking about one. I may have even tried a little trot to get the tram.

Wednesday came and I thought I should be able to manage a gentle three miles with Mike. We arranged to meet a little earlier to compensate for a slower pace. We set off and I felt a lot better than I thought I was going to, I did have visions of having to turn back as my legs couldn't manage it. We did do a very slow run, partly because we were trying to keep the pace down and because we were too busy chatting about the race and Mike's fourth place at the Bournemouth Marathon Festival 5.2k on the Saturday night. Running tends to be an excuse to catch rather than a dedicated training session, but I like it that way.

Not wanting to push things I decided to take Thursday off and see what reaction, if any, there was to Wednesday. Surprisingly little, I've still got a slight pain in the bottom of my left leg and my hip was giving me a bit of jip but nothing serious.

I did another few miles on Friday before going to parkrun. Despite feeling fresh I wasnt going to push it too hard just yet. So decided to run comfortably fast without being on "the edge". Towards the end I could feel myself fading but I guess that is going to happen. Finished in 20:23 which im more than pleased with.

All in all I am surprised that I am back running so soon, maybe I'll change my mind as I start to build the miles back up, we'll see.

So what next? Well due to popular demand (well, John) I shall be keeping the blog going mainly for my training towards Manchester next April, but before then my next target is to break my 10k pb at the Leeds Abbey Dash in November. Officially my current pb is 40:59 but I did 39:44 at the Mersey Tunnel in June but this didn't have a UKA license so isn't official. I'm after sub 40 in Leeds. My training for the next five weeks or so will be focused on this. Distance down, speed work up.

Let's see how I get on.

No comments:

Post a Comment